Title: Meet Me at the Morgue
Author: John Ross Macdonald
Cover artist: Victor Kalen (sic! — it's Victor Kalin)
Yours for: $13
Best things about this cover:
- Too much hiding.
- I'll give the font one thing—it's unusual. Not sexy. Not scary. Not pretty. But unusual.
- One of the redder books I own.
- I feel like Victor Kalin is cheating here: "I got this sketch ... it's kinda finished ... just throw some red over it."
- If the red weren't translucent, the gender of the person behind the curtain would be Way more ambiguous.
- This is one of the many names Ross Macdonald had before he settled on Ross Macdonald. His real name was Kenneth Millar.
- This edition came out the year Chandler died (the 54th anniversary of Chandler's death was yesterday—his 125th birthday is later this year).
Best things about this back cover:
- Hey, more cursive—bit more grown-up this time.
- Red Carbuncle, the lovable drunken angry clown!
"Damn my eyes!" He struck himself sharply on the scalp with his clenched fist, but in such a way as not to disturb the part.
'Cause that's how he rebooted his eyes when they froze up.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]