Title: The Man Who Said No
Author: Walt Grove
Cover artist: uncredited
Yours for: $12
Best things about this cover:
- Despite the fact that the man appeared to be happily enjoying a cigarette, Rachel could not find a heartbeat, and so pronounced him dead at 7:45 a.m. EDT.
- "Oh Steve, let's get out of this squalid basement flat and run away together." Steve did not answer "Yes." [actually, he tried to reply "No," but since he was a character in a mystery that was "faster than sound" (!?) the story was over before Rachel ever heard his response]
- I love that her blouse matches the matchbook. All the detail in the lower left corner of the cover is awesome.
Best things about this back cover:
- "There was a warm liquid feeling in his legs" — that's one letter away from saying he was drenched in his own urine. Nice.
- What did he say 'No' to? He clearly never said 'No' to a drink.
"Stand by for the fireworks," McMahan said. "I'm going to go off like a roman candle."
And then there was a warm liquid feeling [o]n her legs...
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]