Thursday, May 22, 2014

Paperback 776: Ill Met By Moonlight / Leslie Ford (Dell 6)

Paperback 776: Dell 6 (1st ptg, 1943)

Title: Ill Met By Moonlight
Author: Leslie Ford
Cover artist: Gerald Gregg

Yours for: $10

Dell6

Best things about this cover:

  • Ew, that red. Seems like the title should be "The Band-Aid Was Insufficient."
  • I keep reading this "I'll Met …" and thinking "that's not grammar."
  • Surely one of the dullest of Dell covers. In their defense, it is a Very early Dell, and I'm not sure they knew exactly what the hell they were doing yet.
  • I don't think the eyeball-in-the-keyhole was ever this big again. Love it.


Dell6bc

Best things about this back cover:

  • Cursive? Really? Could you not afford a font-ist? Or a second color?
  • Those are some gigantic sailboats.
  • Who is this "Jo" guy? "Jo Village," "Jo Dock" … aw crap, that's a "T"! $&%^ing cursive!


Page 123~

"And then when he came to, days later, he was married to her. I suppose he did the decent thing."

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

3 comments:

Random White Guy said...

A fine example of April Harbor's famous giant eyeball-shaped light house.

Peter Ball said...

Those giant eyes remind me of a comic I read as a boy. Evil giant alien eyeball-brains on tentacles were trying to take over a small English coastal village. A lighthouse may have been instrumental in temporarily blinding them.

DemetriosX said...

Actually, I think this cover has some potential. It doesn't quite live up to it, but the primitive style and the palette give an art deco feel. The only real problem for me is the waves(?) in the moonlight causing the band-aid effect.

Well, that and the oversized eye in the keyhole has stuck me with Louis Armstrong's "Is That You, Santy Claus?"