Titles: The Unknown and The Unknown 5
Editor: D.R. Bensen (both)
Cover artist: John Schoenherr (both) / Illus. by Edd Cartier (both)
Yours for: $12
Best things about these front covers:
- Two for one today, as these appeared back to back on my bookshelf and seemed to go together.
- The adorableness of Winky Peek-a-Boo Demon is considerably undermined by his unholy thumbnail.
- I'm classifying that bony limb on The Unknown 5 as "Fear Hand," though honestly, it's more like "Hey. 'Sup? Hand."
- Can't tell if that bird has no head, or if it's just set completely within its squat little torso.
- I don't know what became of The Unknowns 2-4, but I fear the worst.
Best things about this back cover:
- Weird that 3/5 of the names on The Unknown 5 are legendary and 2/5 I never ever saw before just now.
- Everybody must name something "Cleve," the next opportunity you get. I insist.
- I like that the back cover of The Unknown 5 believes there is such a category as "Fine Paperbacks." Adorable.
Page 123~ (from "Hell Is Forever" by Alfred Bester)
"Ego—" mused the voice. "That is something which, alas, none of us can understand. Nowhere in all the knowable cosmos is it to be found but on your planet, Mr. Braugh. It is a frightening thing and convinces me at times that yours is the race that will—" The voice broke off abruptly.
Don't tase me, Braugh.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]