Title: The Old Man
Author: William Faulkner
Cover artist: jonas
Yours for: $9
Best things about this cover:
- I like how they're both posing and flexing but there's no audience. "Don't I look like the Lancôme girl…?" "I went to GNC and then the gym so …" The ocean gave no reply.
- I was certain this was "The Old Man and the Sea." This book proves that Faulkner was (exactly) half the writer Hemingway was.
- I'm not feeling either violence or terror. I'm feeling people working on their tans.
Best things about this back cover:
- "Psst, I'm down here. Bottom left corner. Fuckers nearly cropped me out of my own author photo."
- "Desultorily" is a great word. Pretty sure I just read it in John Barth's The Sot-Weed Factor, also in relation to a character's university education.
- Faulkner's "stint in Hollywood" famously included co-writing the screenplay for "The Big Sleep" (with Leigh Brackett and that other guy whose name I always forget).
When he saw the River again, he knew it at once.
Sorry. It was that, or a sentence that's about 90 miles long. No thanks.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]