Thursday, June 2, 2011

Paperback 419: The Doctor and the Dike / Jason Hytes (Midwood Y176)

Paperback 419: Midwood Y176 (PBO, 1962)

Title: The Doctor & the Dike
Author: Jason Hytes
Cover artist: Uncredited

Yours for: $21

mid176.docndike

Best things about this cover:
  • If that is his receptionist's regular office behavior, I'd say she has a bigger problem than (capital L!) Lesbianism.
  • Love the expression on his face: "Hmmm, that's odd. My comically large diploma didn't prepare me for this eventuality..."
  • Garters are sexy.
  • I don't quite understand what she's supposed to be doing. Is that a dress she has just removed? Silk cloth with which she's performing some kind of dance? A space alien that has bitten her hand and won't let go?

mid176bc.docndike

Best things about this back cover:
  • "Gwenn's breasts were too small" — I'm not sure that qualifies as "interesting"; "Gwenn's breasts spoke to her at night"—that would be interesting.
  • I will give this back cover one thing: I *do* want to know what "his own problem" is now. Although if it's something as simple and predictable as "he keeps nailing his patients," I'll be at least a little disappointed.
  • "Ow, my core!"

Page 123~

Reed wet his lips (1), suddenly parched, his mind aflame with thoughts of Patricia and her strange behavior (2). "This girl," he rasped drily (3), "what did she look like?" He balled his hands into tight fists as he awaited her reply.
  1. First, gross. Second, when I played clarinet, I often used my lips to wet my reed.
  2. Come on, just tell us! Between the back cover and this sentence, I've had just about enough of your ambiguity, mister.
  3. I really wish I could post an audio file of me trying to recreate what this sounds like. I sound like an aging smoker picking someone out of a line-up ("This girl... [cough]").

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

3 comments:

bliss_infinte said...

Gotta love those Midwood covers.

Deb said...

James Brolin watched as Charo undressed. "What are those things struggling to emerge from the top of her bodice?" he wondered. "It looks as if she has the heads of twin infants in there."

borky said...

Cover:

He began to grasp her problem wasn't just she was a dike, but she was a dike who believed she rode an invisible penny farthing bike.