Title: Here Come Joe Mungin
Author: Chalmers S. Murray
Cover artist: uncredited
Yours for: $50
Best things about this cover:
- Only a guy that big could get away with wearing something that ... let's say, flamboyant. "Yeah, I'm wearing a speckled salmon V-neck with a pink sash for a belt and pin-striped trousers. You wanna make somethin' of it?"
- Why is this book so pricey? It's a total mystery. Found one going for cheapish, but most are going $40-$90. "Rare in any condition." Why???
- "Chalmers" is a funny name. "Seymour!" (that's for "Simpsons" fans)
- I am disturbed by how long this guy is. I mean, from bottom of the V-neck to top of the head is an Eternity.
Best things about this back cover:
- Apparently what "Sea Island Negroes" like to do is get drunk and fight. Perhaps also have sex and play the barrel-drum. Nice.
- Again, I await the historian who can tell me why this book is 5-10 times more valuable than your average mid-50s Bantam.
"Joe Mungin, I 'most mad 'nough to knock you."
"Oh, don't tarrigate yourself. Here, take a drink. Too hot for fight, too hot for quarrel."
"Don't tarrigate yourself" is officially my new catchphrase.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]