Title: The Dreadful Night
Author: Ben Ames Williams
Cover artist: Rudolph Belarski
Yours for: $16
Best things about this cover:
- "Hello, police, I'm being pursued by ... hello? ... damn, this isn't my phone!"
- Rudolph Belarski: Master of DramaticHands (TM)
- That look is not fear. It is sadistic glee. And the man with the hands is not coming after her. He's about to keel over backwards. See, she has just plucked his heart from his chest with one vicious, kungfu strike. "Ha, take that, you bastard! Hey, I can hear the ocean in this thing..."
- "A Novel of Love, Hate and Death" — yep, that pretty much covers it.
- That's some structured swimwear, that is.
- Why is she at the seashore during a thunderstorm?
Best things about this back cover:
- Text me!
- "Adah Capello!" — no offense to all the ADAHs out there, but come on!
- God, these Popular Library back cover write-ups are dreadful. It's like a 9-yr-old kind of sort of recounting what happens in a book he's just read.
Marco the dog was there [I want to stop the quote right there], swimming this way and that, barking incessantly in a frenzied and pitiful fashion; behind his head a wide ripple spread as he quested to and fro..."
Uh ... "quested?" Is he a knight-dog?
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]