Friday, June 21, 2019

Paperback 1045: Abnormal Lover / Clark Connor (Merit Book 507)

Paperback 1045: Merit Book 507 (2nd ptg, 1961)

Title: Abnormal Lover
Author: Clark Connor
Cover artist: "Sloane" (uncredited)

Condition: 8/10
Estimated value: $20-25

[Newest addition to the Doug Peterson Collection]

Merit Books 507
Best things about this cover:
  • Jesus H, what kind of corset injury did she suffer as a young woman!?
  • I love how she's like, "Yeah, they're stretch marks, so what!? I don't see you looking away!"
  • I'm all for that vest-only look, but the pants seem a little ... bunchy.
  • O god, her hand! Was that part of the corset accident!? I'm just glad she overcame adversity and went on to live her truth.
  • "Bru-" is killing me. KILLING ME. How are you this bad at layout!?
  • I assume her left pinky is the "point of perversion" in question.

Merit507bc
Best things about this back cover:
  • Better in black and white
  • And the winner for Worst Compound Adjective in a Back Cover Blurb goes to ...
  • I love how proud the artist ("Sloane!") was of this painting. "Y'all aren't cropping out my signature, dammit. I WILL LIVE THRU THE AGES!"
Page 123~
"I can't, Raymond. I don't have time to see Art Meric. I have to leave on a trip. A very important trip, Raymond!"
A long silence.
"What's wrong, Raymond? Raymond! Raymond!"
"I"m not going to be IGNORED, Raymond..."

Also

🎶"Everywhere around the world / They come to see Art Meric-a"🎶

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

7 comments:

DemetriosX said...

I'm not sure "Sloane" had ever seen a human being in a state of relative undress. Her body appears to be segmented like an insect's. And who knows what she's doing with her hand. A failed attempt at a Vulcan salute? She also appears to have a wandering eye. It is a little better in black and white, though the lack of color makes it look like she's wearing underwear, which makes the bunching even more disconcerting.

Of course, the title is Abnormal Lover. Perhaps the artist misunderstood what that meant.

Bart Fargo said...

I'm very afraid she'd ram her ovipositor down my throat and lay her eggs before I could call for help.

NomadUK said...

Raymond! Raymond! Raymond! Raymond! Raymond! Raymond! Raymond! Raymond! Raymond! Raymond!

Unknown said...

Abnormal liver is more like it.

vintagehoarder said...

She's obviously an alien, and she hasn't managed to get her "human" disguise to work properly.

Rex Parker said...

RAYMOND!?

Farceur said...

Still no Raymond, I take it.