Title: Emotional Jungle
Author: Ann Freeman
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: not for sale
Best things about this cover:
- That lamp shade is epic.
- Who's up for some awkward, joyless, pasty sex? Anyone?
- "So ... you like pink, I guess, huh?"
- The first ever meeting of the Jaundiced Hair support group is about to begin.
- I don't buy that he is "slipping into her room." He has the distinct look of someone backing slowly toward safety.
Best things about this back cover:
- Love how Sanford Aday (publisher of Fabian Books) uses this quotation from Romans (on many of his books from this era) as a big middle finger to his censorious detractors. During this period he was adding anti-censorship material to the back matter of his books. This one has a one-page screed against censors and the several pages of Supreme Court and other legal decisions supporting the freedom of speech, and particularly the freedoms of book publishers and sellers. It's a fascinating (completely invisible, these days) intervention into the discussion of what counts as obscenity and what the government's role toward alleged obscenity ought to be.
"Gwen, I'm sorry abut the other day."
"Forget it. We all have days like that."
He added: "No, really. I had no right to tell you you had hair like an Oompa Loompa. That was totally uncalled for. I could have just kept backing silently out of the room..."