Title: The Disenchanted
Author: Budd Schulberg
Cover artist: Harry Schaare
Yours for: $11
Best things about this cover:
- Her pose! One shoe! Awesome. I think I love her.
- Book should be called "The Dissolute," or "Yeah, I'm Drunk, Whaddya Gonna Do About It, Ya Impotent Bastard? Get Me Another Martini"
- Harry Schaare Loves his Floating Heads — we'll see more in the future.
- Love the little maniacal dancing / jazz club scene in the background
- The novel may be set in the 20s, but these people are not believably from the 20s. Except for emaciated Clark Gable in a tux back there, hitting on the girl who's reclining on the hair of Floating Head. He's 20s all the way.
- "What Makes Sammy Run" is a classic Hollywood novel. Fantastic.
Best things about this back cover:
- LOVE the guy admiring the rack of his drunken lady friend, up-close! "Yes. These will do nicely."
- Toga party or religious visitation? "This angel came into my candle-lit room last night ... man, she was hot."
- I love Michener's precision — like he remembers exactly where he was, three years ago, when he read a novel better than this one.
When he finds out the commercial tie-up he feels like a jerk for having fallen for her. Then, in the finals of the ski-jump, he's injured.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]