Title: Call for Michael Shayne
Author: Brett Halliday
Cover artist: Robert McGinnis
Yours for: $12
Best things about this cover:
- "I'm holding for Mike Shayne, so you can just wait your damned turn for the phone. Here, stare at the side of my left boob while you wait."
- One of the oddest cover poses I've seen for a McGinnis girl — casual gun play + casual, inexplicable semi-nudity. Yet the net effect is still smoking hot.
- For my birthday, I would really love it if one of you could PhotoShop this baby and make it say "Call For Michael Sharp" (my "real" name)
- I love the floating head of Mike Shayne. Quintessential tough dick.
Best things about this back cover:
- The fact that I have left the store's ID tag tucked into the back cover all these years. I love when stores are fastidious about labeling their shit.
- "The night of June 8" is tomorrow, fyi.
- We didn't need the first set of parentheses, let alone the second. What, are you whipsering?
Knowing Masters's reputation as a domineering bully, it seemed reasonable to expect his secretary to be a weak-kneed yes-man, a sycophant.
P.S. just hours after I posted this write-up, reader "Tulse" gave me this:
I should ask for stuff more often. Now I want it on a T-shirt. You're the best, Tulse. I'm truly grateful.