Sunday, November 16, 2008

Paperback 164: The Boomerang Clue / Agatha Christie (Dell D340)

Paperback 164: Dell D340 (1st ptg, 1960)
Title: The Boomerang Clue
Author: Agatha Christie
Cover artist: William Teason

Yours for: $10


Best things about this cover:

  • Well, there's something you don't normally associate with Agatha Christie: BONDAGE.
  • I love love love how her arms coupled with the back of the chair form a (very ironic) valentine! The red background only heightens the effect. Don't even get me started on how she kinda looks like a Catholic school girl who is at least mildly ashamed of the predicament she has gotten herself into... Or is that a look not of shame, or fear, but of coyness? Clearly, I have my own, private version of the story of how she came to be in that chair.
  • Most of my Teason covers (lots of late 50s/60s Dells) don't have people on them. Clearly he should have done more people. The hands alone are gorgeous.

Best things about this cover:

  • More broken windows!
  • Random rope - did she escape!?
  • I love how the copy on the back cover is typeset as if it were a poem

Page 123~

"To begin with," said Bobby, plunging [ed.: !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!], "I'm not really a chauffeur although I do work in a garage in London. And my name isn't Hawkins - it's Jones - Bobby Jones. I come from Marchbolt in Wales."


The story of a golfing legend gone deep, deep undercover.

~RP

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plunging? Is he unplugging a toilet perchance?

Cristiane

Michael5000 said...

That cover is way too kinky.

And it seems there is no Marchbolt in Wales. That's the kind of thing I'm compulsively driven to check.

laura linger said...

And she's a redhead. Let me tell you a thing or two about us redheads. We're kinky. We might get tied up by a random dude or two, and we might complain about it, but believe me you, our thighs are secretly tingly under our Maidenform Thigh Slimming Girdles.