Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Paperback 159: Room for the Rolling M / Bertrand Sinclair (Western Novel Classic 112)

Paperback 159: Western Novel Classic 112 (PBO, 1951)
Title: Room for the Rolling M
Author: Bertrand W. Sinclair
Cover artist: Uncredited [A. Leslie Ross? Norman Saunders?]

Yours for: $15


Best things about this cover:

  • "M" is about the last letter I would expect to "roll" anywhere. Too angular.
  • That window is some kind of brittle scrim - made out of confectionery, perhaps. Glass does not break like that or look like that.
  • His neckerchief is fetching. I also like the shirt. I think this guy has a really bad sunburn or is a rodeo clown. Otherwise, what's up with the aggressively red cheeks?
  • His left hand looks contorted / evil.
  • What is that "HP" in the corner of the window?
  • I love that I can read "Warrant for Arrest" on the document that he has handily tucked inside his gun belt.
  • At least this guy can hold a gun, unlike some recent Western cover guys I've featured.

I would show you a back cover, but it's just the same as the last Western Novel Classic back cover. Ho + Hum.

Page 123~
As Mike passed out a rotund Chinaman came bearing a tray.


Poor Mike. I guess it's like they always say: Beware rotund Chinamen bearing trays.

~RP

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't "HP" be the artist?

Anonymous said...

The spacing in the second line is just painful. That "M" must be really lonely, all out there on its own.

Nicole "Gidget" Kalstein said...

I agree with the scarf being "fetching" (nice word usage!)...in fact, it's the first thing I noticed.

Michael5000 said...

It's a Hewlitt-Packard window. New material. Shatters funny.

Derdrom said...

"...Dude, Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature."