Thursday, August 15, 2024

Paperback 1098: Madball / Fredric Brown (Dell First Edition 2E)

 Paperback 1098: Dell First Edition 2E (PBO, 1953)

Title: Madball
Author: Fredric Brown
Cover artist: Griffith Foxley

Condition: 6-7/10
Value: $25

[The Book Den, Santa Barbara, CA]


Best things about this cover: 
  • If I were a lady I would buy these pajamas (both colors) and sleep in them every night. Not sure how I feel about the capes, but the pajamas are hot.
  • Most of the stuff I was eyeballing at The Book Den was a little on the pricy side (for me—I tend to be cheap and will only pay collector prices if the book is Really desirable and/or the condition is very good). But this book ... I feel lucky to have found a copy in the wild at all. I mean, you can order it on abebooks or whatever, but where's the fun in that? And I still got it for less than it's probably worth. But beyond the whole question of "Value" there's the book, a beautiful early Dell First Edition by a masterful, versatile, often hilarious writer. The book's a bit worn, but it's tight and complete. Got that slightly soft, highly read feel. I love a well read paperback. A really broken-in paperback. This book just screams Everything Good About the Midcentury Paperback. The dings and and creases give it character. In short, I'm very happy with this purchase. Very.
  • Griffith Foxley's covers are always so ... creamy. Just a great painter of people. The girls look great, but I'm especially fond of the dopey-looking guy in the hat just slack-jawed gawking at the girls, as well as the square-jawed huckster in the boater and bow tie, carnival-barking into the mic with his whole damn body.
  • "They're all alive inside!" is so enigmatic! I mean, are these girls robots? Or had there been rumors going around that everyone who went into the tent earlier had been murdered? "Those guys are still alive, fellas! That screaming you heard ... a chicken, I think. Anyway, step right up!"


Best things about this back cover: 
  • Copy writer is on point today! Working that alliteration like his job depended on it. "The pitchmen and the pickled punks, the cotton candy and the kewpie dolls ... all-night alibis!"
  • Well that is *one* way to pluralize "carny."
  • "Can I take you home? Where do you live?" "You know Frenzy?" "Sure." "Well it's close to the edge of there." "How close?" "Too close." "Hmm. You know, I think the buses are still running. Or ... can I call you a cab?"
Page 123~
He'd pushed the brakeman off the moving train in sudden anger, the same blind anger that had made him strike Sammy last night. And he hadn't really meant to kill the lush he rolled, just to make him unconscious would've been enough. But they were murders just the same. They'd have fried him for either one.
That's the problem with lushes. So fragile. The law should really take that into consideration, you know? But carceral state's gonna carceral state, amirite? Yeah I'm right. Hey, pass me the Madball, I'm gonna see if it'll tell me where to eat tonight ...

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and BlueSky]

7 comments:

DemetriosX said...

They just don't make covers like this anymore, and it's a damn shame. There's so much here that I think you'll see something new every time you look at it. Right now, I'm focused on the guy that apparently won a doll at a midway game. He's not there with anybody (unless it's the leering guy next to him). Does he have someone he's taking it home to like a wife, girlfriend or kid? How much did he spend to win it and why?

Mid-century SF had a minor fascination with carnivals, mostly in short stories, but the occasional novel, too. Ray Bradbury went to that well a lot, but he was far from the only one. I guess there was an otherness that faded as the shows and games gave way to rides.

Charlie Z said...

“Bally dancers”? New one on me. Also, straight to Google to find out more about The Fabulous Clipjoint!

Anonymous said...

It’s great

capewood said...

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled punks.

DemetriosX said...

I just took a closer, longer look. The guy with the doll is the leering guy in the blue shirt, not the slack-jawed yokel. Now, he's even creepier. Is he going to use it as a sleazy pick-up tool? "I won this at the ring toss, but I don't have anyone to give it to. I'm so sad. Boo hoo."

Christopher Simons said...

Very "Nightmare Alley", from 1947...

NomadUK said...

What is with the bottled foetus on the back cover? Maybe that's a pickled punk!