Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Paperback 498: Ride the Pink Horse / Dorothy B. Hughes (Dell 210)

Paperback 498: Dell 210 (1st ptg, 1948)

Title: Ride the Pink Horse
Author: Dorothy B. Hughes
Cover artist: [Gerald Gregg]

Yours for: $10

Dell210.RidePink

Best things about this cover:
  • That zombie is going to Town on that horse flank!
  • "Riding the Pink Horse" would make a great slang phrase / euphemism. Maybe for ... when you are consuming lots of Pepto Bismol. Ask me about my two other suggestions! (warning: they involve sexuality and menstrual flow, respectively)
  • I know some carnival rides give people motion sickness, but I had no idea a carousel could wreck a guy that bad. Down to his hair.


Dell210bc.RidePink

Best things about this back cover:
  • Mapback!
  • Visually, this not that interesting. Just a cluster of dots on a lined white back ground. Like someone used it for target practice. Nice cluster.
  • I love the expressive lines coming off the Cross of the Martyrs. Nice comic booky touch.
  • But what is that thing projecting out from beneath it? Sconces Gone Wild!

Page 123~
"I'd take a drink. This Sunday law is a hindrance. To a working man."
"... and that's the last thing I remember saying. Three days later I came to, draped over a carousel horse, my mouth tasting of cigarettes, vomit, and whore."

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

6 comments:

Bram said...

Oh, wow. I live in Santa Fe and, near as I can figure, that map's pretty accurate, allowing for the passage of time and probably some fictional license. Including the way the cross shines, Haring-like.

Stem Cell Therapy for Dogs said...

I like it much and hope I can visit the place.

Black Bear said...

Love that cover--Little Pink Pony on steroids. @Bram, the book was made into a quirky noir, filmed, at least partially, in Sante Fe.

Random White Guy said...

If you wanna ride/Don't ride the pink horse

Pete said...

I've heard the expression Ride the Pink Pony in my life, Ride the Pink Horse just sounds like bragging to me.

Pat said...

Riding the pink pony is the cowboy version of riding in the pink cadillac!