Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Paperback 832: The Unknown / ed. D. R. Bensen (Pyramid T2326)

Paperback 832: Pyramid T2326 (2nd ptg, 1970) (reprints Pyramid R-851)

Title: The Unknown
Editor: D. R. Bensen
Cover artist: Brad Johannsen
Illustrator: Edd Cartier
Introduction: Isaac Asmiov

Estimated value: $7-8

Pyr2326

Best things about this cover:

  • Seriously, *everyone* in 1970 was high on LSD 24/7. It was the law.
  • Self-help + horror = this.
  • "Hey, doc, I dreamt my mother got jaundice and then she smiled and started bleeding tiddlywinks out her eyeballs … whaddya think it means?"
  • Those milk bottle-sized hypos are terrifying. Before I saw the little hash marks on the ones in the foreground, I just thought they were the topless towers of her (her?) imaginary dreamscape, man.


Pyr2326bc

Best things about this back cover:

  • Ugh. Text.
  • All wonderful authors. This collection is probably worth reading.
  • Second Coming of Satan, eh? OK, I'm in.
  • I like the "****" bit toward the end because I can imagine it means "[expletive deleted]."

Page 123~ (from "Doubled and Redoubled" by Malcolm Jameson)

Jimmy Childers went with alacrity.

Keep your bathroom habits to yourself, Jimmy.

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

No comments: