Title: The Unknown
Editor: D. R. Bensen
Cover artist: Brad Johannsen
Illustrator: Edd Cartier
Introduction: Isaac Asmiov
Estimated value: $7-8
Best things about this cover:
- Seriously, *everyone* in 1970 was high on LSD 24/7. It was the law.
- Self-help + horror = this.
- "Hey, doc, I dreamt my mother got jaundice and then she smiled and started bleeding tiddlywinks out her eyeballs … whaddya think it means?"
- Those milk bottle-sized hypos are terrifying. Before I saw the little hash marks on the ones in the foreground, I just thought they were the topless towers of her (her?) imaginary dreamscape, man.
Best things about this back cover:
- Ugh. Text.
- All wonderful authors. This collection is probably worth reading.
- Second Coming of Satan, eh? OK, I'm in.
- I like the "****" bit toward the end because I can imagine it means "[expletive deleted]."
Page 123~ (from "Doubled and Redoubled" by Malcolm Jameson)
Jimmy Childers went with alacrity.
Keep your bathroom habits to yourself, Jimmy.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]