Title: Strangers on a Train
Author: Patricia Highsmith
Cover artist: Stanley Zuckerberg
Yours for: $17
Best things about this cover:
- That dude wins Best Everything at the Paperback Cover Art Oscars. Best Eyes, Best Facial Expression, Boniest Hands, Best Gun-Caressing, Best Damned Trousers On The Planet, etc.
- What year is it? She looks she just walked out of a saloon circa 1889.
- This cover reminds me that I really need a flask. Bourbon is never close enough at hand.
Best things about this back cover:
- Even the handwriting is "tense and frightening."
- "Superbly Revolting" is my new go-to ambiguous pseudo-compliment.
- You can't really see what the original hardcover art was like, but I assure you, it's pretty bleeping ugly. And no Demented Trouser Guy, so … I'll stick with the cheap stuff, thanks.
He longed to merge his life with hers.And the winner for Best Euphemism goes to …
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]