Title: I Always Wanted to Be Somebody
Author: Althea Gibson (ed. Ed Fitzgerald)
Cover artist: Robert V. Engel (aka 'Engle' for some reason)
Yours for: $18
Best things about this cover:
- Not the most dynamic painting, but striking and endearing, as straight portrait painting goes. Rare, if not unique, in my collection for featuring (or even mentioning the existence of) a female black icon.
- I normally squirm at handwriting fonts, but this one is somehow lovely. Nice change of color on "Somebody."
- I wish this cover (or the back cover) featured more, uh, tennis.
Best things about this back cover:
- There's something at least a little insulting about a back cover photo that showcases the fucking queen, while the ostensible subject of the book is literally marginalized, with her back turned. Also, I resent the idea that shaking hands with the queen makes you "somebody." I want the triumphant, trophy-holding shot!
- This back cover actually makes the book sound fantastic. Minus the "jungle" / "Harlem" connection. That, I could do without. I realize "Asphalt Jungle" is a book / movie title, but still…
- Oooh, *hard* liquor! Wow, that *is* tough. No Bud Light Lime-a-Ritas for her!
CONGRATULATIONS. EDNA CRIED WITH JOY. I KNEW YOU'D DO IT. SUGAR RAY.~RP
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]