Author: Clifford Dowdey
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $6
Best things about this cover:
- "She was river scum…" I like a cover that gets right to the point.
- Ha ha, I'm enjoying speculating about her "something."
- Wow, that's a pretty high class of "scum" they got there in Tidewater. She must've got hosed down good. Only thing disgusting about her is her freakish arachnoid hand.
Best things about this back cover:
- "It was something that had to be done"—way to use the passive voice to get your sex on, Libby.
- Protracted deshabillitation scene gets thumbs up from this reviewer.
- Caffey… yeah, I'm not buying that as a guy's name. Caffey is a woman in my mind now. Sorry, nothing I can do, that's just the way it is.
To be with them more, he did his drinking, with Jeff Bunting as a companion, in the Pitch Bottom bars where the small planters went.
The olde-timey gay code of the river folk was pretty elaborate.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]