Title: Star Science Fiction Stories No. 2
Editor: Frederik Pohl
Cover artist: [Richard Powers]
Yours for: $10
Best things about this cover:
- Seriously, beard. How often do you see beard? Not too often.
- I'm disturbed by his lack of hands. I guess they're inside those little spheres, but it looks like they've replace one of his hand with a giant hypodermic.
- Not the most scintillating cover art, but I do love Powers's fever-dream space shapes and colors.
Best things about this back cover:
- Rocket! Or jet gull! Probably rocket!
- Again, I love when books explain the basics of publishing to you. "We find good stories … and then we publish them!"
- Weird to brag about being an "original publication" and claim that the stories "appear here for the first time" when this is a reprint of the real original, published in 1953.
Page 123~ (from "Conquest" by Anthony Boucher)
"I fly with my synapses, if that's the word I want, and sometimes I guess they don't apse."
I see APSE a lot in crosswords. Never quite like that, though.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]