Title: Cruise Nurse / Calling Dr. Merryman
Author: Joan Sargent / Margaret Howe
Cover artist: [Robert Maguire] / Uncredited
Yours for: $12
Best things about this cover:
- Even on dumb, forgettable nurse fiction, Maguire's art is Gorgeous (at least I think it's Maguire—at least one bookseller attributes it to him; she Definitely has Maguire Hair)
- I want to go where she's going.
- For some reason I'm finding both the title font and the seagulls incredibly charming. In fact, the whole thing shouts "60s good-time fun" so hard that I'm having a hard time disliking anything about it, including overdressed waving dipshit there.
Best things about this other cover:
- Well … DARE HE!?
- Ah, the tale of a magnanimous doctor who deigns to screw the nurse everyone thinks is a whore. What a dreamboat.
- I like to think she just punched Dr. Merryman really hard in his right arm.
- "Calling Dr. Merryman … come in Dr. Merryman … we are still unable to locate the bottom half of your body … please stand by …"
- Don't pay …. the Merryman! ('80s music reference for y'all!)
"Elise thinks I'm a beauty," Clay said plaintively.Try saying "Clay said plaintively" five times fast. Go ahead. I'll wait.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]