Title: 1001 Ways to Beat the Draft
Authors: Tuli Kupferberg & Robert Bashlow
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $20
Best things about this cover:
- Well, that's one way.
- This cover is simultaneously horrifying and hilarious (the latter by juxtaposition with the title). Contorted body is one of the most monstrous human figures I've ever seen.
- Found this little book jammed in among a ton of other old paperbacks on a cart outside Falling Leaves in Ithaca last weekend.
- This book is literally a numbered list of 1001 ways to beat the draft. There are illustrations and documents interspersed throughout. It's a very, very serious joke, this book.
Best things about this back cover:
- Kill for Peace
- If LBJ got drafted …
- Signature is a nice touch
Page 123~ (pages are unnumbered, so here is a sampling of Ways to Beat the Draft)
11. Start to menstruate (better red than dead)~RP
479. Contemplate the horror of murder
480. Sleep late with your warm girlfriend
782. Be so ugly you fail even Army standards
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]