Title: The Assistant
Author: Bernard Malamud
Cover artist: "Hofmann"
Yours for: $14
Best things about this cover:
- "Baby, you put the 'ass' is 'assistant.'"
- Are they giants? If that is a street sign he's gripping/pulling out of the ground, the answer must be 'yes.'
- I love her outfit, particularly her shoes, though they seem to have been painted in as an afterthought.
- Art here is really unusual—far more impressionistic/smeary than you usually see on '50s covers. Another thing you rarely see—that color of sky. Inland Empire Brown.
Best things about this back cover:
- Gah! Buncha text. Don't care.
Morris, with clouded eyes, died slowly.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]