Title: The Violent Hours
Author: Frank Castle
Cover artist: Lu Kimmel
Yours for: $14
Best things about this cover:
- "Hi, Murder? Hi! I was wondering, if you weren't too busy, maybe you'd like to come over for some love? .... You would!? Great! I'll put on something red and light a candle. See you soon!"
- There is a whole subgenre of cover art that involves Girls Spilling Over The Edges Of Beds. Here's one. I know I've seen Many, many more.
- This position offers Optimal Breast Viewing but does pretty terrible things to every other part of the body. Her hair looks like a wasp's nest.
Best things about this back cover:
- "Ooh, it's half past murder. Time to look in my pants again!"
- "Webb Grayburn" is not a name that inspires confidence. Sounds like a guy who owns an above-ground pool dealership.
- OK, it's mostly text, but I still love the asymmetrical, crayon-like design with the whimsical, face-free clock hands.
- The book comes pre-distressed, so the actual wear and tear around the edges of the book fits right in with the book's original aesthetic.
It became so quiet in the room that the distant clatter of a teletype became loud.
It's not the most elegant sentence, by a longshot, but I do like the aural experience it provides.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]