Title: The General Zapped an Angel
Author: Howard Fast
Cover artist: Karel Thole
Yours for: $6
Best things about this cover:
- "They call this 'Blood Lake'. I forget why."
- That looks way worse than "zapped."
- I have no idea why I bought this, except perhaps the kooky title, the fact that I recognized Fast's name from earlier work, and some vague idea that later in life I would turn my attention to cover art of the '70s...
Best things about this back cover:
- Text. Text text text. Text. Louis Untermeyer. Text.
- Mother Earth!? So *that's* what She looks like. Again, I'm gonna say the situation on the cover looks *way* worse than mere "wounding."
- I buy that he was "bestselling," but "world-famous?" Maybe this back cover blurb is its own science-fictional alternate universe-type story...
"No, no indeed. You know, I thought I would do one of those Jewish comic-tragic things about a Miami Beach hotel. You know the kind of thing, mostly schmaltz and bad jokes and maybe two percent validity so your audience will shed a tear or two if they're in the right mood."
"Oh, one of *those* things," he nodded politely while smiling and backing away.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]