Title: Mingo Dabney
Author: James Street
Cover artist: Harvey Kidder
Yours for: $7
Best things about this cover:
- And Mingo was his name. O.
- I believe this is the pose for which the expression "Huzzah!" was invented.
- "Who the hell took my castanets?!? I can't do this dance without my castanets!!!"
- Who's the cat who makes all the hijab-wearin' ladies freak out and the grizzled Hemingway impersonators nod in silent admiration ...? — hint: it's not Shaft.
Best things about this back cover:
- Actor Dabney Coleman was famous for getting drunk at wrap parties and insisting that everyone call him "El Dabney."
- "MINGO DABNEY so fly he turn a saint All Woman."—lost '90s rap lyric
- I would like to thank Pocket Books for (fairly) consistently crediting cover artists.
"Listen, Mr. Carson." Mingo ran his fingers through his hair and his fingers were sticky with sweat. "I'm damn near crazy."
Furthermore, in case you missed it: fingers.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]
P.S. Bonus illustration ... author beefcake!