Title: The Blackbirder
Author: Dorothy B. Hughes
Cover artist: Uncredited [Gerald Gregg]
Yours for: $10
Best things about this cover:
- I'm no ornithologist, but ... blackbird? Really? Is there a purple-taloned raptor variety I'm not aware of?
- Those are the most intestinal-looking talons I've ever seen.
- I hope that guy's dead, because otherwise—that crotch-talon, ouch.
- His feet are so dainty. If I don't look at his weird facial expression, I could almost feel moved by his unfortunate circumstances.
Best things about this back cover:
- Well clearly the best things is Jacques (not pictured).
- Ironically, Popin didn't like it when people just popped in. This is why he lives in the middle of fucking nowhere, with only Jacques to ... do whatever Jacques does.
- I like the geographical / regional touches: snow, mountains, adobe house ...
Her skirt was a thin sheet of ice from below her hips.Well, that's one way to call a woman 'frigid,' I guess.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]