Title: The Obstinate Murderer / The Old Battle Axe
Author: Elisabeth Sanxay Holding
Cover artist: Uncredited / Uncredited
Yours for: $12
Best thing about this cover:
- "You wanna know how I got to be a murderer? Persistence, that's how. Never say die. Or, you know, say 'DIE' really loud and then, bam, bring down the axe!"
- The harrowing tale of a generic detective who pursued a generic whey-faced woman through the studio of famed artist Alberto Giacometti for some reason, and ...
- It's like she's pleading with the reader to help her get out of this painting.
- Holding gets raves from obscure regional media: The Burlington News says ... Waterbury American raves ... New Bedford Standard-Times opines ...
Best things about this other cover:
- "Oh, newel post. I guess it's just you and me now, old friend."
- Her dust inspections were nothing if not thorough.
- The full title is "The Old Battle Axe Is Wedged In My Forehead Help Me Get It Out"
Page 123~ (from The Old Battle Axe)
"The wooden railing's been broken up there at the head of those steps. It's a good sixty-foot drop, and he landed on the rocks. Death must have been almost instantaneous."
"I'm glad of that," she said, sipping the whisky. It did not burn her now; she did not bother with the water.
"I'm glad of that," HA ha. The old battle axe likes her double-entendre neat!
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]