Title: Tales of the South Pacific
Author: James A. Michener
Cover artist: Harvey Kidder
Yours for: $5
- "I ... uh ... I forget why I came in here."
- "My eyes are up here" doesn't really work when you're topless.
- I liked the Kangaroo better when it had a joey in its pouch. This "book boner" incarnation is disturbing.
- Whoa, someone's got a military fetish. I'm looking at you, K.C. Clapp.
- "Balinese lasses" is not the kind of phrase you are likely to see ... ever. Unless there are Balinese in Ireland.
- "Bali laughs" is so terrible I literally laughed.
As in a trance, Cable sucked in his breath audibly. The girl smiled, and at that moment Cable heard a hissing noise. He turned around, frightened. But it was only bloody Mary. She had her peach-basket hat in her left hand. Stains of betel juice were drenching the ravines of her mouth, which was grinning, broadly. Her broken teeth showed through, black, black as night. She winked her right eye heavily and asked, "You like?" Then she turned and fled down the path.
Ah, natives. So droll. So quaint. So exotic. Just a moment of local color before our hero has sex with an underage prostitute ... who is a virgin ... who will cry immediately after. You know, the way men do. "The regrets and moral questionings would come later."
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]