Author: Weldon Hill
Cover artist: Mitchell Hooks
Yours for: $9
Best things about this cover:
- This book is all about this guy's insatiable appetite. He likes to eat. Hence "onion." And "head."
- "Oh, Onionhead, you're so ... ribald."
- When the S.F. paper calls your book about a girl-crazy sailor the "gayest novel in years," you might have a marketing problem on your hands.
- Mitchell Hooks is a highly underrated coverartist. His stuff is generally sketchier and more whimsical than the work of the more famous Great Girl Artists, but I always find it very engaging. Love the rough black line work. Also, LOVE the redhead's outfit.
Best things about this back cover:
- On the cover, the girls thought Onionhead was in the Navy. Here, they learn he was in the Coast Guard.
- FOOD OR SEX? They're really pushing this appetite parallel a lot. Unless this book culminates in Onionhead eating large plates of pasta and various desserts off the naked bodies of gorgeous young ladies, I'm going to be very disappointed.
- Again: Ribald! For her pleasure.
Al began browsing among the supplies, getting oriented. He noticed a recipe for muffins on a bag of cornmeal, and got a brilliant idea. He had to learn how to cook, so he ought to practice, learn by experience, trial and error. He would make some goddam muffins.
I want an apron depicting the front cover art and the caption: "He would make some goddam muffins." I would wear it every day.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]