Title: The Candy Kid
Author: Dorothy B. Hughes
Cover artist: Edward Vebell
Best things about this cover:
- I guess he didn't care for the package.
- "I said, 'Where's the candy, kid!?' I want my fuckin' Reese's back, right now!"
- Some of the best upside-down face art I've ever seen.
- I like that dude's suit.
- Check out the Fear Hand (Extreme Edition) on his lapel!
- Getting Jane to swallow her pills was always a chore.
Best things about this back cover:
- I think the guy on the cover misread this as "Never Balk At Strangling Women"
- Jo Aragon needs to buy a vowel, specifically an "e" to put on the end of his first name.
- If you want to end your teaser paragraph with a bang, I suggest the adjective "tampered-with" be nowhere in sight.
He woke up on coffee and a hamburger.
He rolled over to find Sylvia standing in the doorway, a horror-struck look on her face. "When you said you 'loved food' ... well ... I ... [sobbing] ... a hamburger!? A plain old hamburger!? Is that how easily I'm replaced!?"
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]