Title: The Bamboo Blonde
Author: Dorothy B. Hughes
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $8
Best things about this cover:
- Fear Hand! (a damned good example of the form)
- "No! No! Not a wart! Not now! Leonard will think I'm hideous! I'll be the pariah of the cotillion."
- She's got Norma Desmond eyes.
- Those curls are so perfectly circular and evenly set. Looks like her hair was made from some kind of mold or forge.
- People liked knowing *exactly* which book they were getting from Pocket Book. Just like McDonald's customers liked knowing exactly how many had been "served" before them.
Best things about this back cover:
- "Beautiful, but Dead, so ... I'll give you a 50% discount. Whaddya say?"
CON SATTERLEE—good luck ever topping that name.
- "The debonair Kew! The strapping Ar! The feckless Ess! And the toothsome Tee!"
But he couldn't, not in a billion light-years, be guilty of murder.
I don't know. A billion light-years is a stupidly long time (especially insofar as it's not a time at all).
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]