Title: Oh, You Tex!
Author: William MacLeod Raine
Cover artist: Roswell Keller
Yours for: $8
Best things about this cover:
- What the Hell is Happening!?!?! The perspective ... it's hurting ...
- "Chief Green Jeans was sunning himself on a rock, when all of a sudden ...!"
- I want to say that that woman was *clearly* photo-shopped into this picture, but ...
- This is like an abstract expressionist painting, with occasional humanesque figures.
- Fear hand!
- I do not quite get the punctuation of the title. "Oh, You Tex!" Is she ungrammatically affirming that that is his name? Is she calling him a "Tex" the way you might call some a "Brute" or "Bastard?" Is she excited to learn that he texts, but, like your mom, doesn't quite know the right word for it?
- William MacLeod Raine wrote the hell out of some westerns. His books are Everywhere in used pb shops.
Best things about this back cover:
- There are sexier names for a dame than "Wadley."
- Apparently there is no good synonym for "gun-play," so they just went ahead and used it twice. Sorry, just looked at the front cover—make that three times. Oh wait, I see, the front blurb is just a barely changed version of the last line on the back cover. Don't break your backs trying to be original, guys.
Cowboys left their partners standing in the middle of the floor. The musicians dropped their bows and fiddles. Bartenders left unfilled the orders they had just taken.The cause? The Rapture! Just kidding. It's injuns.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]