Title: Devil Ray, Devil Woman
Author: Seymour Shubin
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: not for sale (gift of Doug Peterson)
Best things about this cover:
- "Do you like my hair up, or ..." "Yeah yeah, sure, now are you gonna get naked or not?"
- OK, which is it? A Flaming Story or a Sophisticated, Dramatic Tale. I got no time for this wishy-washy in-between crap.
- "To Most" is my very favorite part of the cover copy. I mean, "in search of forbidden excitement" makes so much more sense, but any reasonably qualified copy writer could come up with that. It takes a true master of whatthefuckery to rephrase it so that we're left wondering not just what the excitement is, but for whom it is not "forbidden" but entirely licit.
- She has a nice figure. I'm just sayin'...
- I hope she's standing well away from the bed, bec. otherwise she is a giant or that smoking (!) hot guy is criminally diminutive.
- That's one slab of a bed.
- Worst title! "The woman, she is a like a Devil Ray, in that she is devilish, and ... Devil Ray has the word "devil" in it, so ..." Imagination!
Best things about this back cover:
- Ugh. It's a text bloodbath back here.
- So this is an ordinary soft-core sex novel, with stock footage from a Jacques Cousteau special? I can't wait.
"Sure no one a beer?" and now Tony was in the doorway.
I swear to you that I have typed that exactly as written, character for character.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]
PS I *thought* I'd seen this cover somewhere before. Well, I hadn't, but here's something close: Paperback 63, Variation on a Theme: