Title: Depart This Life
Author: E. X. Ferrars
Cover artist: some guy whose girlfriend/model was Seriously tripping
Yours for: $7
Best things about this cover:
- If I were being attacked by miniature crows that explode into fireballs upon impact, I'm pretty sure I'd be making that face too.
- It's as if she's gazing in disbelief at the title: "'Who would name a book something so stupid?' she asked, as miniature crows continued to dive-bomb her face and torso..."
Best things about this back cover:
- Oh right, this guy—world's worst logo. Is the artist literally trying to spell out "CRIME" with this "guy's" body parts?
- "Master of well-mannered terror" = "master of polite violence" or "prudish hot chicks," i.e. what?
- If your book has a character named Hilda Gazeley, there is a 90% chance you are thinking too hard about your character names.
She paused to draw a rasping breath. She was in a state of terror.
Did you seriously just tell me that "She was in a state of terror?" How sucky are you as a writer that you cannot convey this to me through her speech, actions, etc.? Just reading this page is a reminder why I don't read "well-mannered" anything. It's all characters talking in preposterous exposition.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]