Title: The Case of the Daring Decoy
Author: Erle Stanley Gardner
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $9
Best things about this cover:
- The bottom 1/2 inch is horribly soiled; otherwise, this copy is close to perfect, and words can't describe how much I love this cover painting.
- Well, maybe they can. I think that if you look up "Hot Mess" in the dictionary, this picture is there. Sexy dissolution personified. All that orange, and the booze, and the smokes, and the stairway to nowhere, just add to the smoldering hotness of the whole scene. First rate cover art. Just wish I had an artist credit!
Best things about this back cover:
- Perry Mason looks like somebody's grandma. Pancake make-up much, grandma?
- Random orangeing of words. That's a new tactic.
- "Hell's bells!" is a great way to lead off your back cover copy.
"You knew her rather intimately, I believe."
"Are you making an accusation?"
"I'm asking a question."
Technically, you were making an insinuating statement, Perry, but ... I'll allow it.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]