Author: William Irish
Cover artist: Wayne Blickenstaff
Yours for: $35
Best things about this cover:
- It's effectively creepy, combining puke colors and swirly, dizzying effects with a Joker-faced floating lady-head, a blot-like specter, and some dude re-enacting the dance from the "Thriller" video in a fun house hall of mirrors.
- William Irish = Cornell Woolrich = kind of a big deal. This book has some mild smashing at the lower spine, and someone's had at those pupils with a pencil, but it's square and solid and pretty rare (see range of prices here).
- Readers-Choice Library is an uncommon imprint. You may remember their work from this fabulous, pot-smoke-smothered cover a while back.
Best things about this back cover:
- "I said TOWARD HIM!"
- The writing here is not good.
- "Here, take this ... sharp-pointed bore!" (!?)
- "His victim's button...?" I really don't understand the premise of this write-up.
"Tom, what's wrong?" she said anxiously. "You look all white and disturbed! You haven't—you haven't lost your position, have you?" She caught him by the sleeve and stared up into his face.
She added, "Because I will fuckin' cut you, Tom. You hear me?"
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter]