Title: Carny Kill
Author: Robert Edmond Alter
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: $24
Best things about this cover:
- This must have been published during the short-lived "rain bowling" fad of the mid-'60s.
- What color is this thing, puce? Yuck.
- Even with that giant crease, this book is pretty valuable. It's rare, Alter is a good (cult) writer, and, I mean, come on: carnies.
Best things about this back cover:
- Why is the cover copy (front and back) written out like post-modern poetry. I want someone to enter a poetry slam with this back cover blurb as the "poem." Video evidence that you have done so will earn you this book, free of charge.
- Here, "carny" is used as short for the entire Carnival - I have only ever known the word to refer to a person who works at a carnival. Also, I like that he "joined" the carny. Like it's the army. Or a cult.
- Oh man, that "though..." just kills the flow there at the end. Did he just trail off? Was he killed before he could get out the rest of the sentence "... though I don't really feel like it. I mean, it's totally not fair."
"Sonofabitch tagged me, Chad!" Pansy-face cried. "Ain't no bastard on gawd's earth goan lay hands on me!"
Sic, and sic, and ... yeah, sic again, just in case.