Friday, March 13, 2009

Paperback 206: So Low, So Lonely / Curtis Lucas (Lion Books 91)

Paperback 206: Lion Books 91 (PBO, 1952)

Title: So Low, So Lonely
Author: Curtis Lucas
Cover artist: Uncredited

Yours for: $20


Best things about this cover:

  • "I'll leave you to your imaginary cup of coffee, then..."
  • "A Negro Searches for Love in an Alien World" - "These earth women cannot satisfy me. Damn it [pounds fist on table], I'm going to Mars!"
  • That guy is very tan or sooty from working in the mines or relaxing backstage at his one-man minstrel show, maybe, but "Negro?" More like an Italian guy who just finished bobbing for apples in chocolate milk.
  • I've apparently hit the part of my collection that's vaguely organized. Two versions of "Cotton Comes to Harlem," two Ace Doubles by Elisabeth Sanxay Holding, and now the second of two early 50s titles by Curtis Lucas.
  • This book is beat up and slightly water damaged but completely solid and intact, i.e. beautifully readable. It's got the well-worn, broken-in feel I like. It's also pretty rare - a Lion PBO with miscegenation themes. Hot.

Best things about this back cover:

  • This book should be called "Carla's Way"
  • Wait, which part was "wrong?" Wanting the white girl or stealing the money? The wording here confuses the issue very, very badly.
  • Hey baby, I'm Curtis Lucas, and I will probe your torment with deep and uncompromising sincerity. Aw yeah.

Page 123~

He picked up his glass. She picked up her own glass, looked at it.

"You don't have to do that," he said.

For a moment she held her glass in mid-air, and her hand trembled. Then she smiled at him and they touched glasses. Both tilted their glasses.


If you love glasses, you'll love ... Curtis Lucas!

~RP

5 comments:

JamiSings said...

Before I read the top when I first saw the picture I thought "Boy, Stanley Kowalski needs a bath!" Seriously, Stella needs to buy him some Ivory soap!

atomicbird said...

Who knew that Lauren Bacall really got her start posing for book covers?

Eunice said...

Her arms seem a bit off. Too short maybe? Or is it the blouse?

laura linger said...

My question: did that particular Negro need a crock pot? ;-)

warren said...

Wait, which part was "wrong?" Wanting the white girl or stealing the money?

In 1952? Both.