Title: Third Ward, Newark
Author: Curtis Lucas
Cover artist: Uncredited
Yours for: SOLD (3/12/09)
Best things about this cover:
- "Oh, U.S. 1, please don't leave me! I love you so much! You're the only .... one. For me."
- "... the jolt of her life!"??? Way to make a brutal rape sound like a caffeine high. Jeez.
- If those are her assailants, they're not fleeing very well. "Hurry, let's ... damn! My contact lens! Hang on, Pete."
Best things about this back cover:
- "Wonnie?" Really. That's almost as bad as "Mihie." Is naming characters really That challenging?
- Revenge! Sweet, now I want to read this. I hope it is less brutal than "I Spit On Your Grave," which I never saw, but just hearing about it made me kind of sick.
- She "ripened" on "filthy" "pavements." Like all the finest fruit. What an endearing portrayal of your heroine.
- "I'm sorry, honey, but I just can't sleep in such a comically small bed. There, there. Let's get out of the kid's furniture section and see what we can find."
Wonnie came back from the kitchen and sat beside Joe. "I'm gonna work here every night, Joe. I'm gonna cook all the corn bread and biscuits, and I'll cook greens with real seasoning in them. In a little while that white man over in the diner will lose all his customers to us."
Worst. Revenge. Ever.