Saturday, June 28, 2008

Paperback 119: The Erection Set / Mickey Spillane (Signet Y5120)

Paperback 119: Signet Y5120 (1st ptg, 1972)

Title: The Erection Set
Author: Mickey Spillane
Cover artist: Picasso

Yours for: $6


Best things about this cover:

  • Is that extended leg supposed to simulate an erection or stimulate one? In either case: [shudder]
  • If you ever doubted the phallic qualities of a gun, behold this cover. Of course, before this cover, I doubted the phallic qualities of a left leg. This cover's full of learning opportunities.
  • Be honest: was there ever a time when that hairdo (bottle blond, unkempt yet sculpted, etc.) was attractive? I was three when this book came out, so I'm not a good judge.
  • She is aggressively tan
  • Remember when women with medium-to-smallish breasts could get shirt-removal work?

Best things about this back cover:

  • "Hey, has anyone seen my artificial leg?"
  • "Dogeron!!" - setting up the inevitable catchprase: "That doggone Dogeron done gone and done it again!"

Page 123~

My teeth were showing when I said, "You can always change your mind, pal. Like starting right now. I'll take all three of you out and be gone before the noise dies down."


~RP

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Heather Mills McCartney is older than I thought.

Anonymous said...

The woman on this cover is Mickey Spillane's second wife. Good for Mickey, I say.

Michael5000 said...

Here comes the smut, Martha.

Anonymous said...

Oh god, her skin is leather.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA I just noticed that sitting on the word "ERECTION" in the title is a endorsement: "His newest, biggest, and best!"

...so I'm still 10 years old on the inside, sue me.

libwitch said...

I don't think I have seen tan lines that start outside of the Coppertone ads. Geesh.

Anonymous said...

That girl on the cover looks like Jessica Simpson in a blond wig that looks like her real hair (and I wouldn't be surprised if it was her).