Saturday, June 28, 2008

Paperback 119: The Erection Set / Mickey Spillane (Signet Y5120)

Paperback 119: Signet Y5120 (1st ptg, 1972)

Title: The Erection Set
Author: Mickey Spillane
Cover artist: Picasso

Yours for: $6

Best things about this cover:

  • Is that extended leg supposed to simulate an erection or stimulate one? In either case: [shudder]
  • If you ever doubted the phallic qualities of a gun, behold this cover. Of course, before this cover, I doubted the phallic qualities of a left leg. This cover's full of learning opportunities.
  • Be honest: was there ever a time when that hairdo (bottle blond, unkempt yet sculpted, etc.) was attractive? I was three when this book came out, so I'm not a good judge.
  • She is aggressively tan
  • Remember when women with medium-to-smallish breasts could get shirt-removal work?

Best things about this back cover:

  • "Hey, has anyone seen my artificial leg?"
  • "Dogeron!!" - setting up the inevitable catchprase: "That doggone Dogeron done gone and done it again!"

Page 123~

My teeth were showing when I said, "You can always change your mind, pal. Like starting right now. I'll take all three of you out and be gone before the noise dies down."



Anonymous said...

Wow, Heather Mills McCartney is older than I thought.

Anonymous said...

The woman on this cover is Mickey Spillane's second wife. Good for Mickey, I say.

Michael5000 said...

Here comes the smut, Martha.

Marri said...

Oh god, her skin is leather.

Zach M. said...

HAHAHA I just noticed that sitting on the word "ERECTION" in the title is a endorsement: "His newest, biggest, and best!" I'm still 10 years old on the inside, sue me.

libwitch said...

I don't think I have seen tan lines that start outside of the Coppertone ads. Geesh.

Anonymous said...

That girl on the cover looks like Jessica Simpson in a blond wig that looks like her real hair (and I wouldn't be surprised if it was her).