Friday, September 4, 2026

Paperback 1175: For Bond Lovers Only / ed. Sheldon Lane (Dell 2672)

Paperback 1175: Dell 2672 (PBO, 1965)

Title: For Bond Lovers Only
Editor: Sheldon Lane
Cover artist: [photo of Ursula Andress]

Condition: 8.5/10
Value: $12

[acquired in Encinitas, CA, Aug. 2026]

Best things about this cover: 
  • Sale Forbidden to Non-Bond Lovers! Yes, she's very sexy, but put the book down and leave the store immediately, you impostor. You know you haven't seen Thunderball!
  • The title appears to be a play on For Your Eyes Only, which at this point (1965) had not been made into a movie. It was merely the title story of a short story collection (1960), meaning you really *would* have to be a Bond Lover to appreciate the (admittedly weak) wordplay.
  • I like how Andress is wearing a shirt. "If, uh, we could get a little more skin, Ms. Andr-" "Fuck you, it's cold, just take the picture!" "Yes, ma'am." (actually, it seems this photo was actually taken by Bunny Yeager, so the dialogue was probably more professional / less objectifying)
Best things about this back cover: 
  • There should not be a comma after "elegant." I want to love the man as much as you want me to love him, but ... punctuation!
  • If they're "girls" (and they're always "girls"), shouldn't he be a "girlizer"?
  • I get what they're doing with "bedridden" but it makes him sound sickly.
Page 123~
    "Bond is a dangerous man," said Chandler. "Dangerous to his enemies. Dangerous to himself. In real life, I suppose Bond would not last more than twelve months. His enemies would combine to see that.
    "Philip Marlowe, now—he'll probably end his days in a street accident. The American crime syndicate would never really go out of their way to bump him off. He's not dangerous enough to them."
~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on BlueSky and Letterboxd]

5 comments:

DemetriosX said...

I certainly agree with your annoyance at that comma in the first sentence on the back cover. However, I'm far more annoyed at the capitalized "The"s in the last sentence. Those are clearly commas after "Man" and "Legend," so no capitalization is called for. I'll let the capitals on the nouns go, but they aren't necessary either.

It took me a long time to figure out who Jack Fishman is. At first, I could only find the chemist who developed naloxone and a TV/movie composer who didn't work on any Bond films. But there seems to be a person by that name associated with The Man from UNCLE novelizations, so I guess that's him.

Anonymous said...

Bedridden is a gem, but I think the sapphire in the middle of the setting is "Allen Dulles."

Anonymous said...

The photo of Ursula Andress was taken by Bunny Yeager

Rex Parker said...

Oh wow, cool. I didn’t see a credit.

DeeJay said...

Boy, I love these! Can't wait til I'm fully retired and can enjoy the first thousand at my leisure. Thank you, MS.