Thursday, July 6, 2023

Paperback 1074: The Amboy Dukes / Irving Shulman (Avon 169)

Paperback 1074: Avon 169 (1st ptg, 1948)

Title: The Amboy Dukes
Author: Irving Shulman
Cover artist: Ann Cantor

Condition: 7/10
Value: $25-30

[Another book from the recently acquired Larry D Collection]

Best things about this cover:
  • A Wayward Youth Grows in Brooklyn
  • Ooh, I did not know there was a movie tie-in variant cover for this (very famous) JD novel. Oddly thrilling. I mean, not as thrilling as my man's gaudy and shockingly wide tie, but thrilling nonetheless.
  • Her eyebrows and his spit curl are Just So. Mwah. Perfect. Great hats, great attitude, just great all around.
  • Drew Pearson! Oh sure, I know him, he's a ... [squints] ... noted commentator. Wow. That's a job title right there [runs off to update business cards]
Best things about this back cover:
  • "Oh Frankie" "Oh Betty" [swelling music, heaving bosoms, sloppy kissing noises]
  • "Frankie and Betty / Were sick of spaghetti / By the summer of seventy-five // They were tired and cold / They were 50 years old / They were barely alive" (thank you for coming to my Billy Joel tribute concert)
  • I do like how they give the whole damn cover, edge to edge, over to this dramatically lit picture. I guess this is to prove that the movie is real and not just some weird marketing ploy.
Page 123~
"I love you, Frankie," Betty was hoarse with passion. 
"Will you ever leave me?" whinnied Frankie. "Neigh," hoarsed Betty.

~RP

P.S. I am so happy to be writing this blog regularly again. I do not care at all if the blog ever has a lot of readers, but I would like it to find its audience. Its weirdo niche. So if you ever wanted to hype it, in any way, to your nerdy friends, that would be rad. Thanks. Oh, and comments welcome. I love hearing what you all think of the books. XO

[Follow Pop Sensation on Instagram @popsensationpaperbacks]

8 comments:

NomadUK said...

I kinda wanna know what's going on behind that big white rectangle on the front cover ...

DemetriosX said...

I'm with Nomad on the white rectangle. It's blocking way too much of the art.

Frankie's (assuming that's him and Betty) fashion sense is... unique. The tie is really something, but the mustard pocket square with the orange checked jacket is certainly a choice. And is he wearing a belted, plaid cummerbund?

Drew Pearson had a show on NBC Radio called... wait for it... "Drew Pearson Comments." He was actually pretty well known for his war reporting. He's the guy who reported on Patton slapping that soldier.

I'm gonna be stuck with "Journey to the Center of the Mind" all day now.

capewood said...

I guess it's not about the '60s rock band, The Amboy Dukes, which I didn't realize until right now was lead by Ted Nugent

DemetriosX said...

@capewood: It's not about the band, but they did take their name from the book.

Larry said...

I have a few places where I can share an enthusiastic endorsement.

Have to point out the name of the blog website is kind of a problem: salmongutter.blogspot.com How about some brand extension: Rex Parker Reviews Paperback Writer?

sps said...

Rex! I love this blog and share it with my friends often. It is always good for a loud chuckle. But it's more than that—I love your appreciation for the cover art, too. So...thank you!

NHPoppins said...

So glad you are back, I love your Blog! Two things:
1)Safely assume that it is not the Drew Pearson who played wide receiver for the Dallas Cowboys from 1973 to 1983?
2)“This Book Specifically Revised and Edited for Avon Books.” Does that mean they took out the really good parts?

Special sauce said...

I have to agree with you about the name,........ it doesn't exactly conjure up an appetizing image mentally...