Thursday, July 14, 2022

Paperback 1056: In Case of Emergency / Georges Simenon (Dell D279)

Paperback 1056: Dell D279 (1st Dell, 1959)

TitleIn Case of Emergency
Author: Georges Simenon
Cover artist: photo

Condition: 7/10
Estimated value: $10-15


Best things about this cover:
  • If anything was gonna kickstart this blog again, it was gonna be a sudden jolt of "frank"ness (picked this up on Sunday at Autumn Leaves bookstore in Ithaca)
  • Is there another way to be "shocking" besides "frankly shocking"? Can you be "coyly shocking"?
  • I know there is the suggestion of titillation inside ("8 PAGES OF PHOTOGRAPHS") but you'd think they would've offered up a more (frankly) suggestive shot of Bardot for the cover. Yes, she appears to be naked and in bed, but it's really a rather dull still—as if she were merely eyeing the cover copy and thinking, "yeah, I guess that's OK."
  • I want to live in a world where promises of JEAN GABIN photos could move books

Best things about this back cover: 
  • "Thoughts of Jean Gabin invaded her mind like ... well, like this red arrow!"
  • Yes, "obsessed" with his mistress, we get it, you said that on the cover, come on, thesaurus!
  • Nevermind, I just finished reading that first paragraph, put the thesauraus down, I repeat, put the thesaurus down, step away from the adjectives, please
  • I know "little slut of the streets" is supposed to sound insulting but I think it's kind of cute ... also, maybe your "traitorous body" is your own problem, pal
  • "Degrading," "depravity," "destruction," "desires" ... how about "desist" or "depart the D section of your dictionary, dude"?
Page 123~

"You'll see! She's got a pretty little pussy, with real blonde hair."

OK so that "pussy" is not I repeat not a cat. Frankly, I'm shocked. No, I'm being *real* frank, not boy-who-cried-frank frank. This quotation seems ... well, as explicit as anything I've ever seen in a book from a mainstream 1950s paperback publisher. I guess the French get more leeway. You know how they are.

~RP

7 comments:

count reeshard said...

So glad that Pop Sensation has returned. Thank you, RP. My weekend is made!

vintagehoarder said...

You're back! It looks like the 2020s aren't going to be a total write-off after all. Looking forward to a lot more "frankness" in the future.

Mo said...

Frankly, it's great to have you back: thanks!

Rex Parker said...

Yay, comments, what's up!? Love the old-school vibe already. Glad to be back.

RP

Larry said...

Wow, that single tantalizing mention of down there anatomy (with blonde hair no less) didn't cause you to flio beyond page 123?

Not sure if this photo of BB shows up but this is far sexier than the cover photo that wasn't up to par.

https://imgur.com/QUs5G6P

capewood said...

I check in on your blog once in awhile. Glad to see you're back.

Victoria said...

Wow, those July 15, July 17, and July 19 commenters had to be checking pretty darn often. As for me, it's December 17. I had less faith.