Friday, July 11, 2008

Paperback 123: Johnny Havoc and the Doll Who Had "It" / John Jakes (Belmont 90-289)

Paperback 123: Belmont 90-289 (PBO, 1963)

Title: Johnny Havoc and the Girl Who Had "It"
Author: John Jakes
Cover artist: photo cover

Yours for: $9


Best things about this cover:

  • If by "It" you mean "pointy left boob" or "bosomy sweater-filling capability," then yes, she has "It."
  • I would love it if the "It" in this title was actually just the stupid cigarette
  • I Love this dame: "Yeah, I got "It" - what's it to ya?!"
  • Great cover copy - parodying this cigarette advertising campaign:




and



Best things about this back cover:

  • There are some days when it's Really hard to improve on the paperback's own inherent funniness. Today is one of those days.
  • I love the idea of having your P.I.'s shtick be ... that he's short.
  • INA Young has a name built for crosswords (among other things, I'm sure)
  • "Wednesday Wilde" is a great play on Sex Kitten Tuesday Weld (who was in my favorite movie that no one saw - "Serial" - as well as on the cover of one of my favorite albums of the 90s - Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend")

Page 123~

"Hey, Moe, you all right?" I touched his shoulder.
One fat tear trickled down his cheek. "I shoulda been a pawnbroker, Claudio."
My God, don't start bawling."
"It's Finishville. For all of us."


~RP

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that a (very) young Jessica Walter as the cover model?

Cristiane

Rex Parker said...

Wow. Good eye. The age is right, and the similarity is startling. (Jessica Walter was the matriarch on "Arrested Development" and also starred opposite Clint Eastwood in "Play Misty for Me")

rp

Anonymous said...

Finishville - The end of the road for lonely PIs, or a Chinatown for the Finnish? The world may never know.

Corey Wilde said...

Jessica Walter -- exactly what I thought when I saw this. Hm, can you say 'Play Misty For Me'?

Finishville. How lame. Jessica deserves better.

Rex Parker said...

Someday I may rename this blog "Finishville." Has a certain, pathetic ring.

rp

Anonymous said...

What's up (or out) with all the pointed-boob weapons?

Larry said...

Hey, I saw Serial, and loved it too! I still see Tuesday in my mind: "Nunca, nunca, nunca"