Title: Fools Die on Friday
Author: A.A. Fair (Erle Stanley Gardner)
Cover artist: Bob McGinnis
Estimated value: $10-15
- It appears that either I hit some perfectly preserved AA Fair / Erle Stanley Gardner motherlode at some point in my collecting journeys, or someone sent me box of same. These books are exceedingly common, but no less glorious, art-wise. And in this condition, mwah!
- I love McGinnis's work, though I don't always share his, uh, aesthetic. There's often an icy, angular quality to his women, and the hair, dear lord, the hair. There be dragons.
- The shoes, though. The shoes. Gotta be the shoes.
- All covers are improved by martini.
- Crazy calligraphic math!
- This back cover does nothing to convey how charming the Lam/Cool mysteries are.
She pushed back her stenographic chair, walked over to a shelf, whipped out a map, and placed it on the counter.
OK, I don't know who she is, but I'm in love.
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]