Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Paperback 943: Mourn the Hangman / Harry Whittington (Graphic 46)

Paperback 943: Graphic 46 (PBO, 1952)

Title: Mourn the Hangman
Author: Harry Whittington
Cover artist: Uncredited

Estimated value: $20-25
Condition: 5 (*only* because of water stain / slight warp—it's tight and square and cover is Amazing)

Best things about this cover:
  • Pulled this one out of Aunt Agatha's crime/mystery bookstore in Ann Arbor. It was an impulse buy. Their idea of a "point-of-purchase display" is an authentic vintage paperback bookshelf (which I drooled over) choked to the gills with vintage paperbacks. So much nicer than the 5-Hour Energy Drink point-of-purchase displays you get at most bookstores ...
  • My first thought on seeing this cover: Robert Ryan is pointing a gun at me!
  • My second thought on seeing this cover: That is the greatest Fear Hand I've ever seen.

Best things about this back cover:
  • And *there*'s the condition problem. But WhoTF cares about the back cover? This book is otherwise gorgeous.
  • Excuse me, gotta do this: [clears throat] ... "STELLLLLAAAAA!"
  • Whoa. Dark revenge narrative. I'm in.

Page 123~

Clinton Edwards opened the door of his Seminole Heights home. When he saw Blake, he seemed to go lax all over.

"My bowels!" he cried, probably.


PS bonus interior! (I really should start cataloguing interior design/illustration as well)

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Her hands are afraid--but somebody should tell her face...