Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Paperback 943: Mourn the Hangman / Harry Whittington (Graphic 46)

Paperback 943: Graphic 46 (PBO, 1952)

Title: Mourn the Hangman
Author: Harry Whittington
Cover artist: Uncredited

Estimated value: $20-25
Condition: 5 (*only* because of water stain / slight warp—it's tight and square and cover is Amazing)

Graphic46
Best things about this cover:
  • Pulled this one out of Aunt Agatha's crime/mystery bookstore in Ann Arbor. It was an impulse buy. Their idea of a "point-of-purchase display" is an authentic vintage paperback bookshelf (which I drooled over) choked to the gills with vintage paperbacks. So much nicer than the 5-Hour Energy Drink point-of-purchase displays you get at most bookstores ...
  • My first thought on seeing this cover: Robert Ryan is pointing a gun at me!
  • My second thought on seeing this cover: That is the greatest Fear Hand I've ever seen.

Graphic46bc
Best things about this back cover:
  • And *there*'s the condition problem. But WhoTF cares about the back cover? This book is otherwise gorgeous.
  • Excuse me, gotta do this: [clears throat] ... "STELLLLLAAAAA!"
  • Whoa. Dark revenge narrative. I'm in.

Page 123~

Clinton Edwards opened the door of his Seminole Heights home. When he saw Blake, he seemed to go lax all over.

"My bowels!" he cried, probably.

~RP

PS bonus interior! (I really should start cataloguing interior design/illustration as well)


[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Her hands are afraid--but somebody should tell her face...

Rex Parker said...

From seven years later ... this comment is great.

~RP