Monday, May 2, 2016

Paperback 940: The Problem of the Wire Cage / John Dickson Carr (Bantam 304)

Paperback 940: Bantam 304 (1st ptg, 1948)

Title: The Problem of the Wire Cage
Author: John Dickson Carr
Cover artist: Gilbert Fullington

Estimated value: $10-15
Condition: 9/10

Bant304
Best things about this cover:
  • Game, set, MURDER!
  • MURDER, anyone?!
  • MURDER commits a foot fault!
  • "Oh my, I think he's dead. I'll just check his pulse. Let's see, I ... I just push my hand against his left shoulder, right? Like this? Right, Steve? Steve, honey, is this right? Knuckles-to-shoulder?"
  • So much Fear Hand in this picture. They are both double-Fear-Handing it, for the rare QuadraFearHand™.
  • "She's trapped in there with a corpse! How will I ever ... oh wait this is just a chain link fence, I'll just walk around ha ha silly me."

Bant304bc
Best things about this back cover:
  • MURDER has a respectable two-hand backhand!
  • *Someone* has never solved a jigsaw puzzle, or sucks at metaphors.
  • Old Nick Young, winner of Most Oxymoronic Name three years running. Take that, Big Steve Small!

Page 123~

"I suppose you know you could get into a lot of trouble for what you've been doing here today?"
The words jerked Hugh upright.

No more jerking, Hugh! 

~RP

[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]

1 comment:

A said...

If these people have such problems with their wire cage, it might be time to redecorate. I'm sure when they bought their house, 'murderous wire cage' was a huge selling point.