Title: Dead in Bed
Author: Day Keene
Cover artist: Harry Schaare
Estimated value: $55
Best things about this cover:
- Said it before, I'll say it again: "women spilling backwards off of furniture" is an oddly common paperback cover trope. Really should've created that tag a long time ago (WSBOF).
- That left hand, like many things about her body, is physically preposterous. My understanding is that dead people are much more prone to gravity than this painting would suggest. Seriously, what is her right shin doing? It's managed to get air, somehow.
- Dude's left hand is Super suggestively placed. He also appears to be floating down from outer space, or at least the ceiling.
- Also, dude is Hawaiian. You can tell by … I don't know what.
Best things about this back cover:
- Possibly the worst tag line in the history of tag lines. Belongs in some kind of noir feminine hygiene ad.
- Yes, when you rearrange her body thusly, the picture *does* make a lot more sense.
- It's a story of more things that start with "b" than ever happened to any braindead bozo, Bolivian or otherwise.
- That last paragraph needs both a lexicographer and an em-dash remover, stat.
She exhaled sharply as she knew what it was like to be a woman for the first time. At least, that's what she said.Before Johnny put his cock in her, she had imagined herself a grapefruit. Thank you, Johnny.
[Full disclosure, that bit's actually from p. 122, but there was no way I was not choosing it. No way.]
[Follow Rex Parker on Twitter and Tumblr]